Saturday, July 05, 2008

Whew! We have been busy. Finally, I have gotten some strength back. I am working part-time (8am. to Noon) every day and actually starting to take an interest in my house, making awareness jewelry and starting a support group for cancer patients. Russ and I are planning a few improvements at home. We will be painting the living/dining room, kitchen, laundry room and foyer ASAP. I am thinking of color rather than the "builders white" that all those rooms are currently. I found a color from Behr called Turtle Dove that I like...that may be the one.

I am making awareness bracelets for all my friends, etc. I have done eight of them so far, and presented them on Wednesday to the nurses, the lab girls and the medical assistants that worked with me at Dr. Kumar's office. I think they were pleased. Each had two charms...one that said "Thank You" and one that designated if the wearer was an RN, LPN or Tech Person. My feeble efforts seemed such a small token of appreciation for such big hearts and helping hands.

Three of us, all breast cancer survivors, have talked about starting a support group for cancer patients in New Port Richey. I approached Dr. K about it on wednesday. Thankfully, he offered the use of his offices for a monthly meeting and will find a nurse to donate time for medical support. I am so grateful for his help with this. We all could have used some expertise during our own battle with the "demon disease". Just knowing where to buy a wig, what side effects one can expect and little hints on how to deal with them; and having someone to vent to or to cry with can be so helpful during treatment that I personally think a support group is a vital part of recovery for many cancer patients. Stay tuned for more good stuff!

1 comment:

doreenmary said...

Hi Judy, I am so happy to learn of your all your positive work on recovery and the good stuff happening in your life. You weren't sure if you'd make that blogging commitment and yes, you have!

I wanted to tell you about a place you could reach out to grow your cancer survivors support group. There's a great website called meetup.com. Check it out! I have joined several groups over the years with this directory of groups.

Continued good health and good wishes!

Love to you!

Doreen