Thursday, January 10, 2008

Starting a New Round of Chemo

Well..to update you on the medical stuff. I finished my first round of chemo...2 very strong drugs for 8 weeks and now I will be starting on a 12 week second round of chemo with only one drug called Taxol. I am hoping that this round will not make me as tired as the other two chemicals I was getting the first time around. This will be administered once a week starting on Jan 23. I am getting a week off....and it is much needed for my side effects to minimize. Dr. Kumar has also ordered a special shot each week to boost my red blood count and hopes this will help the fatigue. I already get a shot to boost my white blood count.
Chemo is administered to a group of us in a room with about eight chairs. We are a mix of people, mostly women, of all ages and with different types of cancer. Our common bond is that we all have Cancer, we are all in treatment and we all have stories to share and tips to help each other. We become a special group, bonding over our illness. I've shared some great laughs with this group, some tears and some personal stories. If I have learned one thing...it is that the human spirit has such a survival instinct it amazes me. Here we all are...being poisoned each week to kill a disease...some of us going for many, many months and even years...fighting the side effects, working so hard to rid ourselves of this hideous killer we are carrying and yet carrying on...making jokes and trying to help each other. I admire so these new friends I've made in Chemo Room 1 and pray for each of them every day. Some of us will make it...some of us will not...but by gosh we all are giving it our best! Please say a little prayer for them too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy,

I was checking my Century21palm mail tonight and got your email about
your blog, so I went to your site and read what you had written. I
found it to be so remarkably optimistic in view of all you have been
through and so very well written (maybe there is a second career here
for you). You are one brave lady. Judy. You have gone through so much,
but still can maintain your positive outlook on life. I wrote you a
long comment only to find that I couldn't leave a comment without a
password, which of course, I don't have. The gist of what I said was
that I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I
also want you to know that I really appreciate all of the help you
gave me at the office. I guess I'm just not a salesman, but I really
do appreciate the help you and Russ have given me. It's people like
you and Russ that really make people feel special and cared about.

Anyway......I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and
praying that you have a speedy recovery.

Linda Carlson